Yakitori (Japanese skewers)
Updated: Jun 6, 2021
Ingredients - for 12 Skewers
4 pieces or 600g chicken thigh fillets
1 bunch spring onion (using white and light
salt and pepper
1-2 tbsp flour
1-2 tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
For Yakitori Sauce (Tare):
combine ingredients into a measuring cup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
1/8 cup water
1 tsp sugar
12 bamboo skewers
Makes 12 skewers
1. Cut the chicken thigh fillets into small (2-3 cm) pieces.
2. Cut the spring onion to 2-3 cm long pieces.
3. Skewer the chicken and spring onion in order, sprinkle salt, pepper and lightly
sprinkle flour on both sides.
4. Heat the frypan on high, add 1 tbsp oil, cook chicken for 2 minutes until
well-coloured, lower the heat and cook a couple of minutes. Turn over the chicken
and do the same.
5. Removed cooked chicken and repeat step 4 for the rest of the skewers.
6. Once all skewers are cooked, wipe the frypan with a kitchen paper towel.
On low heat, add about 1/3 sauce and add the skewers (a few at a time). Allow to
coat and simmer for a couple of mins. Remember to turn the skewers over.
Remove the first batch and add more sauce and continue to cook the rest.
7. Serve with white rice and miso soup.
Chicken thighs are preferred as it is juicier, but you can also use breast.
It is great for grilling outdoor, too (brush the sauce on the meat).
If you don’t have mirin, you can use sherry sake and add a bit more sugar.
If you prefer, you can also just season with salt & pepper.
Enjoy another Japanese favourite dish!