Yakitori (Japanese skewers)
Ingredients - for 12 Skewers
4 pieces chicken thigh fillets (skin on or without)—about 600g
1 bunch spring onion (using white and light green parts)
salt and pepper
1~2Tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
For Yakitori Sauce (Tare)
Combine ingredients into a measuring cup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
1/8 cup water
1 tsp sugar
12 bamboo skewers
1. Cut the chicken thigh fillets into small (2〜3 cm) pieces
2. Cut the spring onion to 2~3 cm long pieces
3. Skewer the chicken and spring onion in order, sprinkle salt, pepper and lightly sprinkle flour on both sides.
4. Heat the frypan on high, add 1 Tbsp oil, cook chicken for 2 minutes until well coloured, lower the heat and cook a couple of minutes. Turn over the chicken and do the same.
5. Removed cooked chicken and repeat step 4 for the rest of the skewers
6. Once all skewers are all cooked, then wipe the fry pan with kitchen paper towel. On low heat add about 1/3 sauce and add the skewers (a few at a time) allow to coat and simmer for a couple of mins, remember to turn the skewers over. Remove the first batch and add more sauce and continue to cook the rest.
7. Serve with white rice and miso soup.
Chicken thighs is preferred as it is juicier, but you can also use breast.
It is great for grilling outdoor too (brush the sauce on the meat)
If you don’t have mirin, you can use sherry, sake and add a bit more sugar.
If you prefer, you can also just season with salt & pepper.
Enjoy another Japanese favourite dish!