Spanish Garlic Soup + Garlic Prawns
Updated: Jun 6
Watch mum cook these Spanish dishes - https://youtu.be/l3ZnNj_ECug
(Gambas al ajillo) Ingredients
200g fresh prawns
60 ml olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic- finely chopped
dry chilli flakes
serve with lots of good bread
Method - Gambas al ajillo (Garlic Prawns):
1. Lightly season prawns with salt.
2. In Cazuela or a small fry pan, add oil, warm up slightly and add garlic, chilli
flakes on low heat until garlic flavour has infused into the oil.
2. Add prawns before the garlic turns colour, increase heat and cook for 2 minutes,
turn and cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately still sizzling and with lots of good
bread to soak up that delicious garlic oil.
It's best cooked in a small, oven-proof terra-cotta Cazuela, which is also ideal for
serving. Take care not to burn the garlic. The tapas complements well with other
tapas dishes or a larger main meal. You can also reuse the oil to cook another
serving of prawns.
Sopa de Ajo (Garlic Soup)
Sopa de Ajo (Garlic Soup):
3 cloves garlic -peel and cut into thick slices
4 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion- finely chopped
1 slice bread- 5mm thick- cut in small
500ml of chicken stock
1/2 tbsp pimenton (Spanish smoked sweet
salt and black pepper
Method - Sopa de Ajo (Garlic Soup):
1. Fry the garlic on low heat with the oil until well coloured but not burnt, and
garlic has perfumed the oil. Discard the garlic from the oil
2. Fry the onion in the garlic oil, sauté until softened, add Pimenton, salt, cracked
black pepper and mix well.
3. Add stock and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add bread and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Crack the eggs into the soup and cook for 2 minutes (we want to keep the egg
whole so no further stirring).
6. Serve in a bowl and garnish with parsley.
Sopa de Ajo is a great soup to warm you up on a cold winter day. If you have
leftover bread and are unsure of what to use it for, this is the perfect way of
putting it to good use.
The key ingredient is the Pimenton, and you can find it in delicatessens.