The video for Spaghetti Carbonara is here -> https://youtu.be/dgEbkTorWr0
This a family staple with various iterations throughout the years but here is the classic carbonara in the Sawa household. By adding some pasta water when mixing the egg/cheese, this will give you that creaminess.
100g pancetta or streaky bacon
1 clove garlic (optional)
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
30g fresh parmesan or pecorino
1 whole egg + extra egg yolk
Salt for pasta water
Cracked black pepper
1. Fill a large pot of water boiling for the pasta, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of salt
2. Slice pancetta into strips or cubes and set aside. Chop garlic finely.
3. Grate fresh parmesan or pecorino into a bowl
4. Using a Mortar & Pestle, smash some black pepper. If you don’t have a pestle, simply use a pepper grinder
5. Mix the eggs & 1 tsp pepper in with the cheese, and set aside
6. Add spaghetti to boiling water and cook as per instructions on packet
7. Heat a fry pan to medium, add the oil and your pancetta and cook out until crispy, turn the heat to low as it crisps up. Add the garlic, 2 mins before the pasta is cooked.
8. Before the pasta is al dente, grab a small amount of pasta water into a small bowl to use later.
9. Drain the pasta, and remove the fry pan from the heat.
10. Add your pasta to the fry pan with the oil & pancetta and mix through
11. Once the pasta is coated through, add your egg/cheese mixture and quickly mix and add some of the pasta water which will give you that creaminess.
**Remember to remove the pan from heat otherwise your eggs will end up scrambled.
12. Serve with some more cracked pepper and some more parmesan
There’s our Spaghetti Carbonara, hope it becomes your favourite J