Updated: Jun 6, 2021
The Laksa video can be viewed on our YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/NcH3KMJfX1Q
Ingredients for laksa paste: (rempah)
10-12 large dry red chilli
6 red shallots
6 cloves garlic
1 knob or 20 grams ginger
1 bunch of coriander using the roots (use
the leaves as a condiment when serving)
1 stick of lemongrass
20g shrimp paste + 20g dry shrimp
For the Laksa Soup:
1 piece of chicken (we used thigh)
1/2 of the laksa paste mixture (You can
freeze the other half)
1 litre chicken stock
1 tin of premium coconut milk
1 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar (or rock sugar)
2 teaspoon fish sauce
1/2 a lime
100-150g raw prawns
50g fish cake
thick hokkien noodles
rice vermicelli noodles
bean sprouts, coriander leaves, dried
shallots chilli or hot oil (optional)
1. Pour chicken stock into a pot and add the chicken, bring to boil and simmer,
skimming off the scum. Cook for around 25-30 mins, and top up the stock with
additional water if it reduces too much. Once cooked, remove chicken from the
stock, set it aside to cool, either cut or pull the meat off the bone. Discard the bone.
2. To make the laksa paste (rempah), start by cutting the large dry red chilli and
removing the seeds. Rehydrate by soaking them in hot water for 10-15 mins. At
the same time, rehydrate the dry shrimp for 15 mins using the same method.
3. Cut all the ingredients for the laksa paste into smaller pieces which will help to
blend the ingredients easier.
4. Drain the liquid from the chilli and dry shrimps and add all ingredients into a food
processor. Add water to assist in the blending process. Blend sufficiently to a smooth
5. Add 50ml of oil into a heavy based pan on medium heat. Add the laksa paste and
stir regularly for around 10 mins. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Once boiled,
add the coconut milk and bring to boil, then simmer.
6. Cook the hokkien noodles as per packet instructions. Pour boiling water over the
vermicelli noodles and let sit for 5 mins and drain.
7. During this time, add your prawns, scallops, fish cake and chicken to your soup.
Season with salt, sugar and lime. Season further to taste.
8. Now, build your laksa with the soup, and garnish with bean sprouts, coriander
and dry shallots.
You can add any seafood that you’d like (or not). The beauty of this dish
is adding any of your favourite protein and vegetables. Tofu is also great as it
absorbs the laksa.