Updated: Jun 6, 2021
Link to Japanese Curry Video - https://youtu.be/vCXxQOjXI9Y
Japanese Chicken Curry Ingredients:
300g chicken thighs
1 tsp curry powder
salt and black pepper
3 medium sized potatoes
For Curry Roux:
2 cloves of garlic
1 knob of ginger
3 1/2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp curry powder
550ml chicken stock
1/2 apple thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
Serves 4 Preparation of chicken:
1. Marinade chicken with salt, black pepper and 1 tsp curry powder
2. Cut potatoes, carrot and one of the onions into bite-sized pieces.
Soak potatoes in water for 20 minutes. Served with rice and pickled ginger (optional)
Making curry roux:
1. Finely chop onion, ginger and garlic.
2. Heat 60ml oil in a heavy saucepan, fry onion, garlic and ginger for around 7
minutes over medium heat or until well browned.
3. Add 3 1/2 tbsp flour and cook out until browned, add 1/2 tbsp curry powder
(save the rest for the end) and stir for 1 minute, then add stock and stir constantly.
Bring to the boil and skim the fat sitting on top.
4. Transfer to a heavy-based pot or casserole dish. Add apple slices and bay leaf.
Allow to thicken, then simmer for 10 minutes on low heat. Remove bay leaf.
5. In another frypan, add 2 tbsp oil and fry chicken, then add to the roux.
6. Drain potatoes. Add 2 tbsp oil to the same pan, fry potatoes until translucent,
add carrots and onion, fry for a further 3 minutes, add to the roux and simmer for
25 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
7. Add salt, pepper and finally add the remaining 1/2 tbsp curry powder.
Serve with rice and pickled ginger.
Written by Kumiko