Empanadillas (Spanish Pies)
Updated: Jun 6
Link to YouTube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuXkBJXxB80
Empanadillas ( small Spanish pie) with, pork, onion and capsicums
Ingredients (16 pies)
For dough (makes 16 small pies):
300g all purpose flour
90ml olive oil
90ml white wine
1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of dry yeast
200g lean pork - thin strips
1 red capsicum- seeded and cut in thin strips
1 green capsicum- seeded and cut in thin
1/2 onion- chopped
salt & black pepper
1 tbsp smoked sweet paprika (Pimenton)
2-3 tbsp of olive oil for cooking
1 egg yolk - lightly beaten for brushing the
top of the pastry
flour for dusting
To prepare the dough:
1. Dissolve the dry yeast in 1 tbsp lukewarm water. Let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Sift the flour on a bench and make a well in the centre. Add oil, white wine,
egg, salt and yeast mixture and mixing lightly to make a smooth dough kneading
for 5-7 minutes.
3. Place dough in a bowl and cover with a cloth (or cling wrap). Allow to
rise for 1 hour. Punch the dough, then back in the bowl again. Cover and let rise
for another 1 hour.
To prepare the filling while the dough is rising:
1. After cutting the ingredients for the filling, in a large frypan, add the olive oil at
medium heat and cook onions for 3-4 minutes, then add red and green capsicums,
cook for 10 minutes until lightly coloured and soft. Season with salt, pepper and
smoked pimento. Set aside.
2. Using the same pan, add some more oil and cook pork for 3-4 minutes or until
browned. Mix with capsicum and onion on the plate. Set aside to cool down.
To assemble pastry and fillings:
1. Set the oven at 200°C.
2. Roll out the dough very thinly on the bench. Ensure you cover the bench with
flour. Cut into 10 cm circles using a cutter or cup. Make sure all the offcuts of the
dough is reused.
3. Place a spoonful of the filling in each pastry, wetting edges with water and fold
in half. Seal with a fork and brush the top of the pastry with the egg yolk.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
5. Serve hot or place on a rack if you like to eat once it has cooled down.
Written by Kumiko