Easy Wonton Soup
Simple Wonton soup
Ingredients for 40 wontons
40 wonton skins
150g minced pork
1Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
dash of five spices (optional.)
dash of white pepper
1/2 Tbsp Chinese cooking wine (or cooking sake, sherry)
2 pieces of spring onion
1 small bunch of choy sum or bok choy
3~4Tbsp soy sauce ( adjust to your taste)
a few drops of sesame oil
a dash of five spices or white pepper
8 pieces of fresh prawns (opt.)
1 egg- make a thin omelette and cut into thin stripes
1 spring onion- cut finely
3 thin slices of ginger - cut in thin stripes
1 /2 sheet of Nori - cut in thin strips
8 pieces of fresh prawns (opt.- boil in a soup for a few mins)
1. Wash choy sum or bok choy and cook in salted boiling water for a couple of minutes. Drain, rinse with water, squeeze and set aside to cool down. Then finely chop.
2. Finely chop 2 spring onions.
3. In a mixing bowl, add minced pork, choy sum and rest of seasonings. Mix well with hand or spoon.
4. To do wonton wrapping, prepare the kitchen board and small bowl of water. Lay a few wonton skins down, place 2 tsp of meat mixture in the middle, wet (or brush) 2 edges with water, hold to make triangle shapes, then wet with water in both side edges and fold. Continue the rest.
5. Prepare 2 sauce pans. One for the soup and one for cooking the wontons.
6. For the soup, boil 800ml water, then add soy sauce, sesame oil, five spices, white pepper and stir. Add prawns and cook another 3 minutes.
7. While making the soup, boil the water in other sauce pan, add 8~10 wontons at a time. Stir carefully to separate each wonton , cook until the wontons float, then add 100 ml of water, cook until float again( about 4 minutes). Remove with slotted spoon, straight into serving bowls.
8. Add soup to the wonton dish and place all the toppings.
We all like dumplings! You can add noodles to your soup. You may add any of your favourite toppings too. You can also use chicken stock for a richer taste.