Easy Fried Rice
Fried Rice With Prawn & Pork
2 cups of white rice (day old rice)
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
20g ginger finely chopped
½ onion finely chopped
¼ carrot finely chopped
Handful of green beans finely chopped
10 raw prawns (uncooked & peeled)
80g Chinese BBQ Pork
3 TBSP il for frying
2 TBSP dark soy sauce
1-2 TBSP Chinese cooking wine
1 teaspoon five spice powder
Salt & Pepper
1. Using day old rice (cold) is ideal however you can still use rice that is just cooked. Usually we use slightly less water than normal so the rice is less sticky and wont turn to mush when adding to the Wok/pan
2. Finely garlic, ginger, onion, carrot & beans, whisk eggs in a bowl and cut BBQ Pork into small chunks
3. Heat up Wok (or fry pan) to high heat and add 1 TBSP of the oil, add in the beaten egg and stir for around 20-30 secs, remove from heat
4. Add in remaining oil and ensure the Wok or Frypan is smoking hot, it’s all about fast cooking here
5. Add in garlic & ginger to flavour the oil and then immediately add your onion and fry around 1 min, add carrots & green beans and continue to fry for another 1 or 2 mins
6. Add prawns stir fry for another 1-2 mins. Add mushroom, pork & corn.
7. Next add the Chinese cooking wine, and stir for 20-30 secs before adding in the dark soy sauce and five spice. Season as necessary with salt & pepper. Add the eggs.
8. Lastly add in the rice and stir thoroughly so that every grain of rice is coated with the sauce.
Your fried rice is now ready, enjoy while it’s piping hot.
Notes: This fried rice is more an Indonesian dish, so you could simply season with a hint of normal soy sauce along with salt & pepper. Remember that dark soy sauce is not as salty as dark soy which has a sweetness to it.