Easy Fried Rice
Updated: Jun 6
Fried Rice With Prawn & Pork
2 cups of white rice (day old rice)
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
20g ginger finely chopped
1/2 onion finely chopped
1/4 carrot finely chopped
handful of green beans finely chopped
10 raw prawns (uncooked & peeled)
80g Chinese bbq pork
3 tbsp oil for frying
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1-2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
1 tsp five spice powder
1. Using day-old rice (cold) is ideal however you can still use rice that is just cooked.
Usually, we use slightly less water than normal, so the rice is less sticky and won't
turn to mush when adding to the wok/pan.
2. Finely chop garlic, ginger, onion, carrot & beans, whisk eggs in a bowl and cut
bbq pork into small chunks.
3. Heat wok (or fry pan) to high heat and add 1 tbsp of the oil, add in the egg and
stir for around 20-30 secs, remove from heat.
4. Add in remaining oil and ensure the wok or frypan is smoking hot, it’s all about
fast cooking here.
5. Add in garlic & ginger to flavour the oil, and then immediately add your onion
and fry around 1 min, add carrots & green beans and continue to fry for another 1
or 2 mins.
6. Add prawns stir fry for another 1-2 mins. Add Chinese BBQ pork & corn.
7. Next, add the chinese cooking wine, and stir for 20-30 secs before adding in the
dark soy sauce and five-spice. Season as necessary with salt & pepper. Add the eggs.
8. Lastly add in the rice and stir thoroughly so that every grain of rice is coated with
Your fried rice is now ready. Enjoy while it’s piping hot.
This fried rice is more of an Indonesian dish, so you could simply season
with a hint of soy sauce along with salt & pepper. Remember that dark soy sauce is
not as salty as dark soy, which has a sweetness to it.