Croquetas de Jamon (Spanish Croquettes)
Updated: Jun 6, 2021
Please follow the link for mum's video on this recipe - https://youtu.be/UT9bGxu_PbY
I cook this one often for family gatherings, and it's a crowd favourite. It's creamy,
rich and delicious and was found everywhere during my travels to Spain.
Croquetas de Jamon
Ingredients for filling:
50g jamon/serrano ham (or proscuitto)
80g good quality salted butter
70g chicken breast
110g all-purpose flour
salt + pepper
Ingredients for breading & frying:
2 eggs beaten
all purpose flour
oil for deep frying
Makes 20-25 small croquettes
1. Boil one egg so that it’s fully cooked through. Poach the chicken in water until
cooked (10 mins). While the egg & chicken are cooking, slice the jamon very thinly.
2. Once the chicken is cool, chop into fine pieces, and the same for the boiled egg.
3. Heat a heavy pan or saucepan to medium heat with butter. Once the butter has
melted, add the jamon and cookout for a couple of mins.
4. Stir in the flour, cook for 60 seconds, then add a small amount of the milk at a time.
Whisk constantly so that the mixture is a smooth texture. Repeat process of adding
a small amount of milk each time until all the milk has been mixed through.
5. Now, increase the heat, and continue to whisk constantly for around 5 mins, this
helps to cook out the flour.
6. Lastly, stir in the chicken & egg, and season to taste (salt + pepper).
7. Using a spatula, spoon out the mixture onto a bowl or plate, allow to cool for 30
mins and then seal with cling wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or
overnight for it to firm up.
8. Once chilled, take a heaped tablespoon of mixture and shape the croquettes to the
desired shape. You should be able to make around 20-25 croquettes.
9. For breading process, first dust with the flour, then into the egg, and finally coat
with the panko breadcrumbs and shake off excess. Once all these are done, you’re
ready for frying.
10. Heat oil to 170°C and cook for approximately 2-3 mins or until golden brown.
11. Remove croquettes from the oil and allow to drain excess oil (on paper
towel or tray).