Best Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken)
Updated: Jun 6, 2021
Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken)
800g chicken thigh fillets, skin on- cut into
5 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp japanese cooking sake or chinese
5 spice powder
3-4 garlic cloves-minced (use a fine grater)
1 knob ginger – minced (use a fine grater)
pinch of sugar
1 cup potato flour or corn flour for dusting
vegetable oil for deep frying
To serve with
White rice, shredded cabbage, garnish with lemon wedges and Japanese mayonnaise (Kewpi)
1. Combine the soy sauce, cooking sake or Chinese cooking wine, five-spice,
garlic, ginger, sugar, and marinate the chicken for 30 minutes.
2. Place the flour in a shallow dish, pull the chicken out of the marinade with
chopsticks (or tongs), one piece at a time (drain off the marinade), drop into the
flour, coating the chicken well on both sides and then placing them on a drying
rack or tray and allowing to sit for around 5-10 mins
3. In a deep fryer, wok or a large deep saucepan, heat the oil at 170 degrees.
Deep fry the chicken in batches (maybe 4) for 1 minute, remove the chicken and
place on a rack for rest for 30 secs.
4. Add chicken back in and again, cooking for a further minute.
5. Remove chicken again for 30 secs, and add back into the oil for another minute.
6. Remove the chicken from the oil once more and
turn the heat upto high and add
the chicken for one last time and fry for 1 more minute. Remove from heat,
allowing oil to drain off. (total cooking time of 5 minutes 30 seconds).
Good Karaage has a crispy outside and juicy inside. This method of frying 4 times
will give a crispier fried chicken. You can also use the wings or breast.
Enjoy the delicious Japanese fried chicken.